Staying on top of the small things around your home limits the likelihood that bigger issues will catch you off-guard down the line, maintaining your biggest investment—your home!
Performing these monthly tasks will help you avoid some major repairs in the future:
- Check the furnace filter and remove build up. This makes it easier for your HVAC system to regulate temperatures and will help keep utility costs down. While you’re at it, check that all indoor and outdoor vents aren’t blocked.
- Test your smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers, and ground-fault circuit interrupters.
- Clean out your garbage disposal. Grind ice cubes then flush with hot water and baking soda for a refreshed disposal.
- Flush out your hot water heater. This removes accumulated sediment and ensures that your hot water heater remains in tip-top shape.
Now that you’ve got some monthly to-do’s out of the way, keep these seasonal tips in mind.
- Keep gutters clear of debris.
- Ensure all doors and windows are properly sealed to keep heat in.
- Shut off outdoor faucets to avoid frozen pipes during the winter months.
- Have your fireplace and forced-air heating systems professionally inspected.
- Inspect roofing for missing, loose, or damaged shingles and leaks.
- Mend cracks or gaps in your walkway or driveway.
- Replace batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and ensure every floor of your home has one—including the basement.
- Vacuum lint from the dryer vent.
- Open cabinets below your sinks to let warm air in or keep the faucet at a drip to avoid frozen pipes.
- Inspect the roof, gutters, and downspouts for damage after a major storm.
- Check your basement for leaks during thaws.
- Ensure air conditioning units are covered.
- Vacuum bathroom exhaust fan grills.
- Clean drains throughout the home, including sinks, tubs, showers, and dishwashers.
- Remove storm windows for a wash.
- Give your home’s exterior a good clean—an ordinary hose is a powerful tool!
- Change your air conditioner filter.
- Inspect your sink, shower, and bath caulking for deterioration, replacing as needed to ensure a tight waterproof seal.
- Drain or flush your water heater.
- Fertilize your lawn in preparation for the warmer months.
- Have your air conditioning system serviced.
- Take care of exterior repairs, like painting or updating your porch.
- Reverse your ceiling fans so they go counterclockwise—if you haven’t already—this pushes the air down, creating a nice breeze.
- Prune trees and shrubbery.
- Clean your kitchen exhaust fan filter.
- Clean your refrigerator and freezer coils, and empty and clean drip traps.
- Seal tile grout.
- Replace interior and exterior faucet and showerhead washers if necessary.
- Oil your garage door chain, door, and hinges.