5 Things to Do Around Chicago This Weekend
Celebrate that you finally made it through the week with five awesome events around Chicago this week! Every week we at Dream Town scour the city and handpick five things we’re excited about.
From culture and history, to weird culture and history, to checking out some art and theatre; you’ll have no shortage of things to talk about next Monday.
JOFFREY BALLET: GAME CHANGERS
Chicago-based, internationally acclaimed Joffrey Ballet presents three stunning works for their winter program. This limited engagement features the Chicago premiere of “Year of The Rabbit” by visiting choreographer Justin Peck, along with reprises of two Joffrey classics–“Fool’s Paradise” and “INFRA.”
- When: Wed Feb 15 – Sun Feb 26
- Where: Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University (50 E Congress Pkwy)
- Hours: Fri 7:30pm, Sat 2pm & 7:30pm, Sun 2pm, Thurs 7:30pm
- Admission: $34–$159
- More Info: joffrey.org
The Chicago Architecture Foundation (CAF) celebrates National Engineers Week with this weekend of family-friendly engineering explorations. This year, the CAF explores Chicago’s iconic movable bridges—learn from an expert about six different types of bridges, then build your own!
- When: Sat Feb 18 – Sun Feb 19
- Where: Chicago Architecture Foundation (224 S Michigan Ave)
- Hours: 10am – 3pm
- Admission: Free
- More Info: architecture.org
RIVER NORTH WHISKEY FESTIVAL
Spend a Saturday afternoon on the rocks—or not—at the River North Whiskey Festival. Sample a variety of whiskeys, bourbons and scotches from the world’s top distilleries, with more than 50 varieties to choose from. Mingle while you sip and partake in food and conversation, and enjoy lots of great freebies, including a souvenir glass.
- When: Sat Feb 18
- Where: Old Crow Smokehouse & Moe’s Cantina (149 W Kinzie St)
- Hours: 1pm – 4pm (12pm – 4pm VIP)
- Admission: $25, VIP $35
- More Info: rivernorthwhiskeyfest.weebly.com
ARTIST’S BLEND: PAINTING WITH COFFEE
Grab a sip of inspiration, a pinch of education, fun with friends, and guaranteed energy for the whole weekend! This unique class will show you how to make coffee without a coffee or espresso machine as well as how to use it as a medium for making gorgeous paintings. If you’d like something with a more tangy kick at this brunch class, bring your own champagne to make mimosas using freshly squeezed juice from the cafe!
- When: Sat Feb 11
- Where: Brü Chicago (1562 N Milwaukee Ave)
- Hours: 10am – 12pm
- Admission: $25 – $55
- More Info: bruchicago.com
JAPANESE EXPERIMENTAL CINEMA: BETWEEN PROTEST AND PERFORMANCE, 1960 – 1975
Presented as a cinematic complement to the Art Institute of Chicago’s contemporaneous exhibition of provocative Japanese photography, these three screenings provide an opportunity to explore the historical intersection of experimental filmmaking with documentary cinema traditions during a period of radical social and political change.
- When: Thur Feb 16 – Fri Feb 17
- Where: Block Museum of Art (40 Arts Circle Drive, Evanston)
- Hours: 7pm – 9pm
- Admission: $6 general public, $4 students
- More Info: blockmuseum.northwestern.edu
For more Chicago real estate news and features check out our blog!