5 Things to Do Around Chicago This Weekend
Celebrate that you finally made it through the week with five awesome events around Chicago this week! Every week we at Dream Town scour the city and handpick five things we’re excited about.
From culture and history, to weird culture and history, to checking out some art and theatre; you’ll have no shortage of things to talk about next Monday.
CHICAGO FRINGE FESTIVAL
The Chicago Fringe Festival (CFF) unites daring theatregoers with emerging, boundary-pushing, and uncensored artists from around the world. CFF engages nontraditional audiences through a commitment to low ticket prices and outreach into artistically underserved communities. The 2016 Chicago Fringe Festival will feature 50 groups in about 200 performances including comedies, dramas, dance pieces, musicals, performance art and the unclassifiable.
- When: Thur Sep 1 – Sun Sep 11
- Where: see schedule
- Hours: see schedule
- Admission: Tickets start at $5, Passes start at $26
- More Info: chicagofringe.org
THE GREAT AMERICAN LOBSTER FEST
Spend Labor Day weekend enjoying fresh seafood in the form of lobster rolls, tacos, and in-the-shell at this two-day festival with live music at the east end of Navy Pier. Attendees can purchase general admission tickets, sign up for the Lobster Brunch Cruise, and pre-order their very own lobster.
- When: Fri Sep 2 – Sun Sep 4
- Where: Navy Pier (600 E Grand Ave)
- Hours: 12pm – 10:30pm, cruise 12pm – 3pm (Sunday only)
- Admission: Tickets start at $32, VIP starts at $100, Cruise $140
- More Info: americanlobsterfest.com
AFRICAN FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS
The Festival grounds in Chicago’s Washington Park become a celebration of the African diaspora at this unique arts festival that re-creates an authentic African village. Interactive engagements, vibrant drumming, museum quality and collectible artifacts, colorful and rich handwoven fabric and textile, and other programs provide an experience of some of the world’s richest and most vibrant cultures.
- When: Fri Sep 2 – Mon Sep 5
- Where: Washington Park (5100 S Cottage Grove Ave)
- Hours: 10am – 10pm
- Admission: Advance $15, Gate $20, Weekend Pass $40
- More Info: aihusa.org
TASTE OF POLONIA
The Taste of Polonia fills the Copernicus Center with non-stop live music, food, and activities for all ages yearly over Labor Day Weekend! It is a celebration of Polish culture right here in Chicago. Head to the Taste of Polonia to enjoy kielbasa, pierogis, potato pancakes, Polish beers, as well as things that arenâ€™t food related – like live bands and polka!
- When: Fri Sep 2 – Mon Sep 5
- Where: Copernicus Center (5216 W Lawrence Ave)
- Hours: Fri 5pm – 10:30pm, Sat & Sun 12pm – 10:30pm, Mon 12pm – 10pm
- Admission: $7, children under 12 free
- More Info: topchicago.org
LAUGHS ON THE LAKE COMEDY CRUISES
Prepare to laugh on Lake Michigan with performances by several stand-up comedians! The Labor Day weekend cruise is hosted by Darren Georgia, and features performances by Em Brown and Paul Farahvar opening for headliner Brandi Denise. Grab a group of friends, or make it a date night! All guests must be 21 or older with ID.
- When: Sun Sep 4
- Where: Ships depart from Navy Pier (600 E Grand Ave)
- Hours: 5:30pm
- Admission: Start at $39
- More Info: spiritcruises.com
For more Chicago real estate news and features check out our blog!