Has the extra time at home inspired you to update your space? Your home should reflect your personality, so this month we’re looking at ways to punch up your style from the hottest paint colors to the top remodeling trends for 2020.
Trends On The Rise
With increased time spent at home over the last few months, interest in remodeling has been on the rise. If you’ve been considering customizing your space, these home trends will keep you ahead of the Joneses.
- The farmhouse look may still be en vogue, but modern kitchens are taking centerstage. Think clean lines and industrial touches—open shelving, natural stone textures, and sleek tiling are popular right now.
- Technology is taking over the kitchen. Water-saving dishwashers, and wifi-enabled appliances are the more sustainable choice for your home.
- Play with color! Kitchens offer ample opportunity to experiment. Bold accent walls and painted cabinetry offer pops of color for added personality.
- Utilizing every square inch of your home allows you to have a space that not only works for you, but brings you joy. With the help of the right professional, your basement can become the home theater, spacious office, or fully stocked bar of your dreams.
- Open concepts aren’t just for your main living area. Knocking down a wall or two can allow for more space to design the finished basement you deserve.
- Make a statement with new fixtures in a standout hue. Black lighting fixtures, shelving, and faucets offer a striking look, especially when paired with white accents.
- Embrace smart tech with built-in Bluetooth speakers, or eco-friendly shower fixtures that can help you save money.
- Create a spa-like bath experience. Utilize storage space in your bathroom to make more room for the open shower or big tub you’ve always wanted.
- There’s still time to perfect your patio. Outdoor kitchens, built-in bars, and even a fireplace will bring the indoors to your backyard.
- You can never have too many flowers! Landscaping is key to a serene outdoor area, so go all out. And don’t forget the lighting—whether you use the classic fairy lighting or go for a more modern solar-powered lantern, proper lighting sets the mood.
Find Your Style
Not sure what look to go for? Whether you’re going for a complete update or just want to refresh one room, determining your style is the first step towards designing a home you’ll love.
Industrial style typically highlights raw surfaces—think exposed brick and concrete flooring—and an open floor plan. Balancing sophistication with the raw beauty of industrial spaces requires subtle textures and soft hues to add some warmth.
- Art Deco
The roaring 20s are back! Art Deco offers an opulent look, embracing over the top metallics and elaborate designs. One of the world’s most iconic art and design moments, this style is all about glamour. Gold accents, innovative furniture design, and geometric patterns will bring the Jazz Age home.
This serene style combines neutral tones and relaxing blues to evoke the feel of a beachside retreat. Ornate tile patterns, Chippendale accents, colorful pillows, and natural textures add a chill vibe to any home.
- Midcentury Modern
One of the most popular décor styles of the 21st century, midcentury modern design offers a clean, minimalist look. Pioneered by Ray and Charles Eames, this style boasts warm wood tones and an understated aesthetic for a timeless space.
- Modern Farmhouse
Intentionally rustic, this style is both timeless and easily updateable. Its charming look may strike most as a bit old fashioned, but it easily transitions into a modern aesthetic with geometric touches and contemporary finishes.
Get The Look
One of the easiest ways to transform your home is with a fresh coat of paint. These designer-approved colors are guaranteed to create a brand new feel.
- Sophisticated and romantic, blush tones are ideal for any room. This soft hue has just a dash of gray allowing for a slightly edgier feel. Paint to try: Benjamin Moore, First Light 2102-70
- Gray doesn’t have to be basic! This lavender gray is the perfect organic tone for any modern space. Don’t sleep on this beautifully toasty color. Paint to try: Valspar, Winter Calm 4001-1B
- Bold blues are hot right now, evoking a feeling of calm. Try a crisp white pairing for some contrast. Paint to try: PPG, Chinese Porcelain PPG1160-6
- The new neutral, soothing hues like serene greens reconnect you and your space to the great outdoors to keep your home grounded. Paint to try: Behr, Back to Nature S340-4
- Bohemian earthy hues offer a touch of warmth. These subtle colors are both relaxed and sophisticated. Paint to try: Valspar, Pale Powder 3001-8A
- Welcoming shades of pale blue are a versatile way to update any space. Pair with deeper hues for a monochromatic feel. Paint to try: Valspar, Grey Brook 5001-1B