Tis the season to be a little spooky, and we’re ready to celebrate! Plan the perfect Halloween-inspired night in, grab the cauldron and brew up a tasty cocktail or mocktail, or DIY some ghostly décor this month.
Spooky Cool Style
Dress your home to the nines this Halloween! From next level jack o’ lanterns to ghoulishly scary specters, these thrilling DIY décor ideas promise to add a bit of spooky style to your home.
- These cheesecloth spirits require a few simple materials to create the ideal piece for your haunted abode. Learn how to make these ghoulish ghosts here: bit.ly/diyspirits
- This wriggling snake covered wreath is perfect for decorating your door with something fun but sophisticated. Learn how to make this creepy-crawly wreath here: bit.ly/snakewreath
- It’s not all scary this season—this fairy-inspired design will bring a bit of magic and fantasy to your home. Learn how to make this cozy hollow here: bit.ly/fairypumpkin
- A fall take on the classic snowman, this gaggle of gourds is a fun way for you and the family to celebrate the season. Learn how to make this pumpkin family here: bit.ly/gourdfam
Do the Monster Mash
Stir up a tasty cocktail or mocktail that even Dracula couldn’t pass up!
- Pumpkin Spice Margarita
1½ oz Cazadores Reposado tequila
1 oz Bols Pumpkin Spice liqueur
2 oz orange juice
½ oz lemon juice
Dash of cinnamonCombine ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and serve on the rocks.
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Punch
1½ cups Bombay Sapphire gin
1 cup Butterfly Pea flower tea, brewed and chilled
¾ cup St. Germain elderflower liqueur
¾ cup fresh lemon juice
3 cups Martini & Rossi ProseccoPlace all ingredients in a punch bowl or pitcher. Mix, then add prosecco. Serves 10. Tip: Freeze edible flowers in ice for added flair.
- La Catrina
1½ oz El Tesoro Blanco
½ oz Aperol
½ oz orange juice
½ oz lemon juice
Mango syrup and honey to tasteCombine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake to chill, then strain over fresh ice in a rocks glass. Garnish with orange marigold flowers.
- Ocean Blue Goblet
3 oz Torani Blue Raspberry Syrup
9½ oz sour mix
9½ oz lemon-lime sodaCombine ingredients in a goblet or glass. Garnish with blue gummy sharks for added danger and intrigue.
- Cider Sangria
3 oz apple cider
5 oz fresh lime juice
¾ oz pear syrup
2 dashes orange bitters
1 tbsp diced apples and pears
Splash of tonicCombine all ingredients, shake, and pour into a snifter glass. Add additional ice for extra chill.
2 oz aloe juice
1¼ oz sugar free cranberry juice
½ oz lime juice
¾ oz honey syrup
¼ oz cherry syrup or grenadineCombine all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Strain into a chilled glass, garnish with a lime wheel.
Scary Good Cinema
Plan the perfect scary movie night with one of these hauntingly spooky movies—all filmed in Illinois!
Poltergeist III (1987) Filming locations included John Hancock Center and Water Tower Place
Child’s Play (1988) Filming locations include The Brewster Building
The Relic (1997) Filming locations include the Field Museum
Amityville Horror (2004) Filming locations include The Lodge of Antioch and various Buffalo Grove locations
The Grudge 2 (2006) Filmed throughout Chicago.
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) Filming locations include John Hersey High School in Arlington Heights