The Great Outdoors
With summer in full swing, we’re finding ways to bring the fun outside of our homes. This month we’re hitting the great outdoors, from crafting the perfect backyard campout to unique items to make outdoor entertaining a blast.
Sleep Under The Stars
The ultimate camping destination is closer than you think! You don’t need to hit the trail to plan the perfect campout, and these tips will have you and the family backyard camping in style in no time!
Create a cozy campsite
Pitch your tent on a flat, smooth surface to call home for the night. Don’t worry if you don’t have a tent—you can easily create a makeshift shelter by tying a rope or clothesline between two trees, and hang a large tarp or blanket over the top. Just make sure you lay a waterproof tarp underneath, so you stay dry all night long, and top with comfy pillows and blankets.
Set the scene
Hang lamps or a strand of fairy lights around the tent for a magical atmosphere. Not only will the lights illuminate your campsite, they help the family feel more comfortable spending the night outdoors in the dark.
Plan a few fun activities
Keep the family entertained with classic games like Simon Says, tag, or bags. Or take a neighborhood nature hunt to help you stretch both your legs and your mind. Make a list of local plants or animals to spot, and set off for a hike. And when it’s dark, don’t forget the campfire stories—even if you don’t have a fire to gather around, spooky stories are a solid throwback for frightening fun.
S’mores are the quintessential campout treat. Try a creative take on this classic with one of these combinations!
You’ll need the basics:
- Graham crackers
- Chocolate (any of your favorites will do,
but Ghirardelli Chocolate squares are an
easy way to mix it up)
Love something sweet and salty?
Salty Caramel Bacon s’more:
- Salted caramel
- Chocolate graham cracker
- Mint chocolate
Looking for something with a tropical twist?
Strawberry Banana s’more:
- Sliced strawberries
- Sliced bananas
Want a Memphis classic?
- Peanut butter cup (in place of chocolate)
Prefer a little spice?
Cinnamon Caramel s’more:
- Cinnamon graham cracker
- Dulce de leche
Perfer something savory? Skip the basic
ingredients, and give these a try:
Savory Tomato s’more
- Carr’s wheat cracker
- Tomato slice
- Carr’s wheat cracker
- Goat cheese
Upgrade your backyard this summer with the help of some over-the-top items that are guaranteed to wow your family.
- A watermelon tap kit turns this sweet summer treat into the perfect drink dispenser for lemonade, cocktails, and mocktails alike.
- Keep cool outdoors with a misting fan. Meant for al fresco fun, this fan hooks up to a hose to help everyone stay cool all summer long.
- Who needs a theater when you’ve got portable movie screen? This jumbo screen is the perfect way to host movie nights with the family.
- Miss hitting the water park? An inflatable waterslide brings this summertime activity home.
- Keep drinks cool with a cooler table. This 2-in-1 product makes backyard cookouts a breeze.
- A glass enclosed fire pit is a great way to add some ambiance. There are many compact versions available, perfect for smaller spaces.